The Wausau Conservatory of Music has on its faculty instructors and artists with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. Here is the current listing of those teaching at the conservatory.
Ann Applegate-Artist/Instructor -Piano & Music Explorers
- Degrees: Doctor of Music Arts (in progress) in Piano Performance/Pedagogy - University of Colorado-Boulder, Master of Music Degree in Piano Pedagogy - University of Oregon, Bachelor of Music - Central Michigan University
- Credentials: Adjunct instructor of music for both UWMC and UW-Marshfield. Ann serves as regional and state adjudicator and guest-clinician. Student of Dr. Guy Duckworth.
- Performances:Â Soloist, recital accompanist, outreach performances in the public schools and performances on the WPR seriesÂ Live from the Chazen.
Mara Beckman-Instructor -Piano & Composition
- Degrees: Master of Music in Vocal Accompanying and Coaching - UW-Milwaukee, Bachelor of Arts in Piano - UW-Stevens Point
- Credentials: Coached by Jean Barr, Graham Johnson, Ralph Votapek, and William Westney in solo and vocal repertoire. Specializes in vocal coaching and accompanying and serves as a vocal coach throughout the area.
- Performances:Â Milwaukee Ballet Company, Skylight Opera Outreach, Opera for the Young, Wausau Symphony Band, NATS staff pianist and active performer and accompanist throughout the state
Shelly Bitner-Adjunct Instructor - "Boys Will Be Boys"
- Degrees: Shelly Bitner is a graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with a degree in Music Education, General & Choral, K-12.
- Performances:Â Appeared in numerous operas at UWSP includingÂ The Tender Land (Ma Moss),Gianni Schicci (Zita) andDie Fledermaus(Special Guest). Sang in the UWSP's Opera Choruses and in the Concert Choir under the direction of Lucinda Thayer.A member and frequent soloist for Wausau Lyric Choir and Wausau Pro Musica.Â
Dr. Lily Chia Brissman-Artist/instructor-Piano &accompanying
- Degrees: Doctor of Musical Arts in piano performance with emphasis on accompanying from Arizona State University. Postgraduate study in vocal accompanying and chamber music at the Royal Academy of Music in London
- Credentials: Taught at Oberlin Conservatory, Kent State, University of Connecticut and Concordia College.
- Performances: White House, Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields and at art song festivals in Europe and the US.
Julie Burgess-Director of Choraliers & Choralation
- Degrees: Bachelor of Arts in Music education - Carroll College with piano/vocal emphasis.
- Credentials: Taught music in Milwaukee Public Schools, West Allis. Currently Director of Choral Activities at DC Everest Middle School and is Choral Director/Organist at St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church.
- Professional memberships: WMTA, MTNA, WCDA, ACDA
Bette Close-Artist/Instructor -Piano
- Degrees: Certification in Music Teachers National Association.
- Credentials: Study with Marylene Dosse, attended Oberlin Conservatory of Music Summer Piano Institute; student of Sanford Margolis and Sedmara Ruststein; studied with Charles Goan. Guest lecturer/clinician - Goshen College Piano Workshop and Academy.
- Performances: WPR series,Â Live from the Chazen; St. Lucia, West Indies with St. Lucia School of Music.
John Greiner-Instructor of Saxophone & Jazz Studies
- Degrees: Bachelor of Music in Woodwind Performance - Berklee College of Music in Boston
- Credentials: Member of the USAF Band Midwest. Leads his own Big Band "SwingShift" and is a featured soloist with the Wisconsin Jazz Orchestra.
- Performances: In Boston with "The Platters", "Four Tops", the Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey and Jimmy Dorsey Orchestras. Played with Dizzy Gillespi and toured Japan with the Newport Jazz Orchestra.
Mona Grote-Suzuki Instructor - Piano
- Degrees: Bachelor of Arts - Music Education (K-12 Vocal specialization) - St. Olaf College
Suzuki teacher certification through Piano School Book V- UW-Stevens Point
Continuing education at American Suzuki Institutes
- Professional affiliations: Suzuki Association of America, Music Teachers National Association, Wausau Area Music Teachers Association
Kirsten Hornby-Instructor - String Bass
- Degrees: Bachelor of Music - Lawrence University
Master of Music - Northwestern University
- Credentials: Student of James Clute and David Stallsmith. Currently teaches orchestra at Wausau East and Wausau West High schools.Â
- Performances: Principal bassist of the Wausau Symphony
Scott Hunsberger-Artist/Instructor - Voice
- Degrees: Master of Music - UW-Madison, Wisconsin K-12 certificate in General and Vocal Music, Opera training - Karlos Moser and William Madsen.
- Credentials: Taught at UW-Oshkosh and UW-GB studio voice, class voice, French diction for singers, conducted the University Chorus.
- Peformances: Includes Guglielmo, Gianni Schicchi, Don Giovanni, Melchoir, Orestes, Papageno. Featured in the world premiere of "Follow Me Where". Performed with Green Bay Symphony, Wausau Symphony and Band, Wausau Chamber Singers, Wausau Pro Musica and Pamiro Opera.
Margaret Jerz-Adjunct Instructor - World Music Drumming
- Degrees: Masters of Music Education - UW-Stevens Point; Certification in Orff-Schulwerk from Univ. of Lowell, MA;
National Instructor for World Music Drumming
- Professional memberships: Wisconsin Music Teachers Association, Music Teachers National Association
- Performances:Â Active accompanist-pianist throughout central Wisconsin.
Ann Johnson-Instructor - Cello & Suzuki Cello
- Degrees: Bachelor of Music/ Music Therapy - University of Evansville
Certification in instrumental music education - UW-Stevens Point
Certification in Suzuki Cello Books 1A, 1B and 2
- Credentials: Cello and piano teacher - Delaware School of Music. String teacher for D.C. Everest Area Schools.Â
- Professional affiliations: Suzuki Association of America, Music Teachers National Association
Karen Juliano-Artist/Instructor - Voice & "Spotlight Singers"
- Degrees: Doctor of Musical Arts (in progress) in Vocal Performance - University of Illinois. Studied with Sylvia Stone, Eva Likova and Hubert Kockritz. Worked with Chloe Owen through the American Institute of Musical Studies in Graz, Austria
- Credentials: Coached with Joan Dornemann and Niko Castel in NYC. NATS
- Performances: Principal/secondary roles for Opera Grand Rapids and the Orlando Opera Company. Three years with the Cincinnati Opera chorus.
Michael Kowaleski-Instructor - Drumset
- Degrees: Studied percussion at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music; UW-Milwaukee, Stanger Percussion Studios in Chicago Dorn and Kirchners Percussion Studios in New York. Training includes instruction from world renowned drumset virtuoso Joe Morello
- Credentials: Taught - Wisconsin College Conservatory and MPS. Extensive recording/performing experience- includes with Phil Upchurch (guitarist - Quincy Jones Band) and Daryl Stuermer (guitarist with Phil Collins/ Genesis).
Patrick Langer-Director WAYS & Suzuki Instructor-Upper Strings
- Degrees: Master of Education - UW-Stevens Point. studied with Suzuki expert teacher Marge Aber; with Shinichi Suzuki in Matsumoto, Japan; with Paul Landefield, John Kendall, Linda Case and Dorie Preucil
- Credentials: Suzuki Association of America, Served as Suzuki Violin Specialist on Faculty of UW-SP
- Performances: Active performer for many years. Played as a member of Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra and the Wausau Symphony.
Barbara Lattimer-Artist/Instructor - Voice
- Degrees: Attended the College of Saint Teresa in Winona, MN and the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
- Credentials: Elly Ameling Art Song Seminar - Cleveland, Liturgical Music Workshop at St. John's University in Collegeville, MN. Student of Marjorie Phelps Kampenga, studied with Oren Brown - NYC. Crittenden Opera Workshop in Boston. NATS
Performances: performed regularly on WPR and as both Soprano and Alto soloist in numerousÂ Messiah performances.
Thomas McComb-Instructor -Guitar/Mandolin/Banjo - Suzuki Guitar
- Degrees: Bachelor of Music in Music Education - Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Natural Resources.
- Credentials: Teaches jazz guitar at the UW-Stevens Point. Has played guitar for over thirty years and has taught guitar for 23 years.
- Performances:Â Performed with John Altenburgh, Janet Planet, Bob Kase, Catalin Rotaru, Art Stevenson and High Water and many others. Currently performs solo and with his own quartet and in other ensembles
Lisa Phalen-Adjunct Instructor - Clarinet & Oboe
- Degrees: Bachelor of Arts - University of Wisconsin- Madison; Master of Music- University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire
- Credentials:Band instructor at DC Everest Middle School. Musical Director for the WCM Middle Level Band Camp and is active in the area as a performer and conductor.
Dr. Jacob Roseman-Artist/Instructor -Flute & Director -Flute Choirs
- Degrees: Doctor of Music in Flute Performance - FSU; Certificate - Mozarteum International Summer Academy - Salzburg, Austria. Student - Julius Baker, Bonita Boyd, Charles DeLaney.
- Credentials:Taught for UW-Whitewater Flute Camp, UW-SP Arts Camp, FSU Arts Camp and Eastman School of Music.
- Performances: Flutist with RochesterÂ Philharmonic; Allentown, Tallahassee and SavannahÂ Symphonies.Â Solo - Atlanta Symphony, Concerto Soloists of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Sinfonia.Â Principal Flutist Green BayÂ Symphony.
Kevin Short-Instructor - Trumpet
- Degrees: Bachelor of Arts - music performance - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay Teaching certification in instrumental music - UW-Stevens Point. Master of Science in school administration - Cardinal Strich University
- Performances:Â Played with numerous jazz bands and symphonies throughout Wisconsin as well as in the pit orchestras for many traveling broadway musicals
Nancy Siebecker-Artist/Instructor Organ
- Degrees: Master of Music - University of Michigan; Bachelor of Music - Lawrence University; Bachelor of Music - UW-Oshkosh
- Credentials: Director of music/organist in Wausau parish churches for over twenty five years. Student - LaVahn Maesch, James Moeser, Robert Clark, Miriam Clapp Duncan, Katherine Hanford of Lawrence University.Â
- Professional affiliations: AGO (Sarasota/Manatee, FL. and Wisconsin River Chapters). Past board member of the WCM and past advisor to the board. Past member of ACDA and the WCDA.
Daniel Stewart-Instructor -Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet, Saxophone
- Degrees: Bachelor of Music, Master of Music degrees in oboe with specialist in multiple winds - Michigan State University
- Credentials: Student of Harold Gomberg, Daniel Stolper, Larry Teal and Alex Murray; Retired professor - UW-Stevens Point.
- Performances:Â Previously associate conductor and principal oboe for Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra